About Me

My photo
On a quest to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. I enjoy conversation with good friends over a glass of wine or a cup of coffee. If I could be anywhere on earth, I'd choose to be on the beach, in the moonlight, with my feet buried in sand up to my ankles.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

X is for Xeric

Xeric, a word meaning dry or desert like conditions, perfectly describes my life. Almost overnight I went from an over-full chaotic life to emptiness. Empty nest, fewer friends, no career, and something I haven't experienced in very long time - boredom. Even the weather is xeric. The summer heat saps my energy and makes me want to move underground. My Irish roots, fair skin, and allergy to sun screen do not help.

It's not that I haven't filled the time with other things, activity: appointments, events, blogging :-), but the dryness remains. The absence of these people and these things can't be replaced by other people and different things.

A positive person (if you are one, you should probably stop reading this blog) would say “give it some time”, “time heals all wounds”, “into every life a little rain must fall” (except that wouldn’t work with the whole dryness theme), and other equally unhelpful platitudes (if you’re offended, remember, I warned you about reading this blog).  As you may have guessed, I am not a positive person, probably because my life is so xeric.

Visit Jenny's Alphabe-Thursday

11 comments:

  1. I probably shouldn't be laughing, what with you feeling all sad and everything. But maybe it will cheer you up to know that you brought some joy to my overly hot, and totally annoying summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so tired of the cliches...I could puke - so I wont tell you to get over it and i wont tell you that their is a light at the end of the tunnel and I wont tell you that it will get easier with time and I wont tell you to put one foot in front of the other and I wont tell you everything happens for a reason and I wont tell you to be strong...I just wont - because I too am a bit xeric and I well...I just wont

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sweetie...I am right there with you. Yeah, it's easy for people to give platitudes and cliches (my husband being the biggest offender)but sometimes we do need time to wallow in that pit for a bit. I've been in my desert for about 6 months now. I know that through perseverance I will get through this but, darn it, let me wallow! I need to feel the pain before I can move through it. Am I making sense? No? Oh well, then. Never mind....(but I do know how you feel!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. cheer up...
    everything shall pass, and you learn and grow, only become stronger and smarter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness...I hear you 100%. In fact, my X post was on my life being quite Xeric as well.

    See, there are many of us with much of this "dryness" in common. I sometimes feel comfort in that.

    The desert happens. I think I'm willing to accept that...as long as it doesn't stay too long.

    Which in the end, nothing really ever does. Change is as sure as the sun rising the next day. This is what I remind myself...

    (Sorry for the looooong comment! Thanks for sharing)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is true...there are some things that can be said, but at this time and moment in your life...you would most likely not want to hear them. All I will share is that for me...it is only by the Grace of God and my faith that I have been able to get through some challenging times.

    Blessings & Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No fairness clause built right in that whole I am human contract. We, (insert platitude scourge face) put on our big girl panties and move on...regrettable...but with an attitude of defiance, a stiff upper lip, you can muster through, really. And know what else? You can even forgive an old Muse who is full positive faith...

    In all sincerity...I am pulling for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know that change is never easy. In a small way I can understand what you are saying as my children grow up one by one. My youngest will be in kdg next year and as a stay at home mom I will be out of a job.
    Sending up a prayer for you that some rain will fall down upon you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can offer you complete understanding. Since my husband died - long after the net was empty - my life has been a dust bowl. Nothing seems concrete or tangible. I send you my best good energy.

    ...........cj Schlottman

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please excuse my late visit to your Alphabe-Thursday link for the letter "X"!

    I tried to sign up to follow your blog but it won't even post my picture...which could be a good thing.

    I was startled to read words that my heart has felt so strongly.

    I don't know why we can't grieve the passage of one life into another. These are big changes, hard changes...and such a time of adjustment and refocus.

    Do what you need to do to heal and find hope again!

    Thank you for this Xcellent link!

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I'm the person who wants the time. My life is full to the brim...and I don't even work! I do hope it gets better for you. [insert cliche here, even though you said not to because I'm a rebel that way]. :)

    ReplyDelete